Do you want to know who are the best auto insurance companies near you? There are a few factors that can be said to determine the best car insurance company and J.D. Power & Associates, one of the most respected companies that review industry standards, provides deep data analytics and customer satisfaction surveys on the industry. J.D.’s three reports on the industry is a great way to judge the best car insurance companies in your zip code.
Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Study, 2015
This study breaks down the country into 11 regions and provides a fact-based survey study of overall customer satisfaction in each region based on six different underlying factors. J.D. uses a unique ranking system that denotes companies by the number of power circles they are awarded. Unlike a star-rating system, the power circle system rates companies in comparison to each other.
For instance, 5 circles represents “Among the Best” for automobile insurance companies for the region in question, 4 circles “Better Than Most”, 3 circles “About Average” and 2 circles “The Rest”. These circles are based on points out of 1,000 to provide a consistent overall score. The study is broken down into 11 similar population-sized regions to allow for market-share considerations of regional insurers. The USAA will not be included in results below as it is only available to American military and their family members, yet the company is top-rated in all regions.
Find out which companies in your region have been awarded as the best car insurance companies in this illustrious study! The list includes the Regional Award Recipient for Customer Satisfaction and the two runner ups.
The Southeast Region
This region comprises the following states: Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia.
- Tennessee Farm Bureau, PERFECT Circle SCORE, 30 circles
- North Carolina Farm Bureau, 3 circles overall, 17 circles total
- Kentucky Farm Bureau, 3 circles overall, 18 circles total
Rare in the study, the Tennessee Farm Bureau received a perfect 5 Circle score across all categories with the next two companies receiving only 3 Circles overall. So, it is the best auto insurance company in true meaning of the word “best”.
The state of Texas is its own region in the J.D. study. The winners are:
- Texas Farm Bureau, PERFECT Circle SCORE
- Progressive, 3 circles overall, 17 circles total
- GEICO, 3 circles overall, 17 circles total
The winner received a perfect 5 Circle rating across all categories.
Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Hawaii are part of the Southwest region. The three top companies in the region include:
- The Hartford, 5 circles overall, 27 circles total
- State Farm, 5 circles overall, 25 circles total
- Liberty Mutual, 3 circles overall, 21 circles total
The southwest region had two companies that received awards for customer satisfaction, both with overall satisfaction of 5 Circles, but each not getting five circles in each category.
Of the northwest states of Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, North & South Dakota, and Wyoming the three best auto insurance companies are:
- PEMCO Insurance, 5 circles overall, 28 circles total
- State Farm, 5 circles overall, 23 circles total
- Farmers, 4 circles overall, 23 circles total
Another region with a single state, Florida has three companies with 5 circles overall satisfaction and they are:
- GEICO, 5 circles overall, 26 circles overall
- Progressive, 5 circles overall, 25 circles overall
- Allstate, 5 circles overall, 24 circles overall
Florida provides fairly consistent customer satisfaction across its top performing companies.
In the middle of the country Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa and Illinois make up another region with two companies that were within points of each other. The top contenders are:
- Auto-Owners Insurance, 5 circles overall, 28 circles total
- Shelter Insurance, 5 circles overall, 28 circles total
- State Farm, 4 circles overall, 23 circles total
The empire state, also by itself as a region produced two companies with 5 circles overall customer satisfaction and include:
- State Farm, 5 circles overall, 25 circles total
- GEICO, 5 circles overall, 27 circles total
- Travelers, 4 circles overall, 21 circles total
It is interesting to note that GEICO is second place and State Farm won the region with a higher actual point score, although GEICO received more overall circles in the rankings.
Often thought of as the mid-west these states: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania produced only one 5 circle company, as listed below:
- Auto-Owners Insurance, 5 circles overall, 27 circles total
- Indiana Farm Bureau, 4 circles overall, 21 circles total
- Country Financial, 4 circles overall, 23 circles total
This is the second regional award for Auto-Owners, who also won the Central region as well.
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are included in this region, and the top three best car insurance companies are:
- Amica Mutual, PERFECT Circle SCORE
- State Farm, 4 circles overall, 22 circles total
- Safeco Insurance, 3 circles overall, 17 circles total
States in this region include, North & South Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, D.C. with top companies:
- Erie Insurance, 5 circles overall, 29 circles total
- The Hartford, 4 circles overall, 25 circles total
- Travelers, 3 circles overall, 15 circles total
With only three companies getting perfect circle scores, Erie with 29 circles is very close to be included in those very best auto insurance companies in the US.
The last single-state region, its top performers were:
- Wawanesa, 5 circles overall, 27 circles total
- The Hartford, 5 circles overall, 29 circles total
- Auto Club of SoCal Insurance, 5 circles overall, 27 circles total
Another interesting contest where actual point totals decide the top company even though The Hartford had more circles.
Knowing what is the best car insurance company in your region or Zip Code will help you narrow down your choices when getting quotes from CheapAutoInsurance.net. This J.D. Power & Associates Auto Insurance Customer Satisfaction Survey provides the most in-depth measure of insurers across every zip code in the United States.