Many motorists want to make alterations on their automobiles to put their personal stamp on it. There are many things on a vehicle you can change. Some of these modifications are minor and is not important as far as auto insurers are concerned. However, you may need special adjustments on insurance for modified vehicles before driving around with a highly modified automobile.
Is It Easy to Find Insurance for Modified Cars?
Many people would fear that premium may increase a lot and refrain from talking to their insurers about these modifications. But they should think about the possible consequences of a claim not being paid due to changes unknown to the insurer. You may be right to worry about modified automobile insurance if the alterations made is substantial. However, most insurers are capable of insuring modified cars, street rods, lowriders or tuners. Only when you made substantial and very custom changes that affect the performance of the vehicle hugely you may need specialist insurer.
A good example is installing a racing car engine to your otherwise modest car. This is likely to cause a serious problem if the insurer does not know about it. A faster car means more chance of causing accidents and higher risk for the insurers. Other changes include ram bar which can also cause more damages to third party autos. Whatever the changes made it is safer to arrange modified vehicle insurance even it means paying a little bit more premium, rather than taking chances. Being properly insured is always better for your peace of mind too.
Modified Car Insurance Quotes
If you have received a few quotes before, you probably noticed that some insurers don’t like insuring fast autos even when they aren’t modified. But when you don’t tell about the modifications made you are not only risking your investment on modifications but also on the whole car.
Insurers can refuse a claim if they determine that main cause of it was the modifications made. So, make sure to disclose all the changes made on a vehicle when you are getting modified car insurance quotes.
As mentioned above, get quotes from specialist insurers by all means but don’t ignore main stream insurers. Most auto insurance companies can provide certain level of coverage (as much as $5,000) for the following customized parts and equipment:
- Stereo or sound equipment, specialist radios and scanners
- Computerized gadgets, inbuilt GPS, phones, TVs and video systems
- Body, engine, exhaust, or suspension enhancers
- Custom grilles, louvers, side pipes and spoilers
- Custom wheels, tires and spinners
- Custom chrome, paints, murals and graphics
- Special carpeting or insulation
- Height-extending roofs
- Furniture or bars
Much more costly installations, substantial works and class changing engine replacements may require a specialist modified auto insurance which can easily be found with a quick search on the internet. Otherwise, feel free to get a few quotes from companies on our panel that can include the reasonable changes listed above on your policy.
Other Points to Note if You Want Cheap Insurance for Modified Cars
- You should discuss the changes you are planning to make with your insurer or talk to an insurer hypothetically before going ahead with it. They can point you in the right direction and prevent you from making your car hard to insure.
- You need to find a reputable garage to carry out the works for you.
- You need to make sure that your car is inspected by the right authorities and approved road wordy. This is essential after serious body works.
- Also, it is always advisable to keep invoices and inspection certificates just in case you may need to show them in the future to prove the value of the works.