Car insurance rates in the state of West Virginia are notably affordable when compared to averages from other states and countries. This applies to both liability-only and full coverage policies. Moreover, the percentage of uninsured drivers in West Virginia stands at an impressive 9%, falling below the national average. Despite West Virginia’s status as one of the least populated and smallest states in the nation, its motorists outpace the national average by driving an annual average of 16,876 miles. This higher mileage could potentially influence their vehicle insurance premiums.
West Virginia Liability Requirements
Minimum limits set by authorities are;
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person.
- $50,000 total for bodily injury or death per accident.
- $25,000 for property damage.
WV also requires uninsured motorist bodily injury (UM BI) and property damage (UM PD) coverage. They cover medical expenses and vehicle damage if you’re hit by a driver without insurance. The minimum limits are;
- UM BI: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
- UM PD: $25,000 with a $300 deductible
If you are over the age of 18, you need to wear your seat belt in this state no matter where you sit in the car, if you want to avoid getting a ticket. Check the state Insurance Commissioner’s page for valuable information.
Despite the fact that the Mountain State mandates elevated minimum coverage thresholds compared to numerous other states, it is advisable to aim for a liability coverage level that is at least twice as extensive. Given the escalating costs of various expenses, relying solely on state minimums could swiftly prove inadequate. This could lead to a situation where you are personally responsible for covering the damages caused to others.
Car Insurance Costs in WV
The average state required minimum coverage auto insurance premium is $421, which is $201 lower than the national average. The average cost of full coverage is $1,580 in West Virginia, which is $434 less than the US average too.
You have to pay nearly 4 times more for a full coverage policy than a liability only but the level of protection offered is a lot more as well. For example, this state has one of the highest deer-vehicle collisions in the country thanks to winding mountain and country roads here so Comprehensive coverage may come handy if you hit wildlife. Collision coverage offers protection if you are involved in any traffic accident regardless of fault. And it is always worth arranging a decent level of liability coverage.
Cheap West Virginia Car Insurance Companies
Below companies are the most competitive carriers across including most of its cities. The average costs across the cities spread widely in this state with Wayne, Madison, Logan and Williamson being the most expensive. They are $300 – $400 more expensive than the average.
- State Farm
There are plenty of choices in West Virginia from local to top auto insurers in the country. As you can see there are a couple of smaller but highly favored carriers as well as the largest company in the country in the above list. So, you can start with these brands when you are getting quotes and comparing your options. You should not ignore smaller carriers because they can offer great rates and they have very good customer satisfaction ratings. For example, both Erie and Westfield meet that description.
A few West Virginia Auto Insurance and Driving Facts
- More than 40% of households have two cars in WV.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) is not needed or available in West Virginia. Instead motorists can buy medical payments insurance (MedPay) to cover traffic accident related hospital costs.
- If you get caught driving without insurance, your license and registration may be suspended and you may need to pay a fee for reinstatement in this state. However, if you buy insurance quickly and show proof, you may be able to avoid license suspension and fee for reinstatement but you still need to pay the fine in West Virginia.
- This state is one of the most at risk states for flooding. So, motorists may need to consider buying Comprehensive auto insurance coverage to be protected from flooding.
- West Virginia emerges as one of the statistically riskier states for driving. This can be attributed, in part, to the prevalence of rural roads characterized by steep curves and hills, as well as the elevated frequency of fatal accidents within the state.
- You are eligible to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license to a WV license but you are required to pass a vision test and complete a brief alcohol awareness course.
- In this state, no matter which direction you are driving you are likely to have to drive through some mountains and they are very beautiful, especially during the fall foliage season.
No matter where you live in the country, you should always shop around by getting several car insurance quotes as the rates can be significantly different from one provider to the other. Nice to take comfort from the low rates in your state but you can improve on them by getting even better prices. Otherwise, you may run the risk of overpaying.