To start with, every driver would be quoted different premium when they compare car insurance rates by zip code. If they change the vehicle to be insured or any other material details they will receive a new quote that may be higher or lower. Also, every company will come back with a figure that could be much higher or lower than the previous quotes.
On its own any single quote would not mean much and certainly will give you no idea if it is cheap or expensive. These are relative terms and something can be cheap in comparison to other similar products on the market. You need to have other quotes to do a proper vehicle insurance rate comparison. That is why a policy search should never be over with only getting one quote.
Why Do You Need to Compare Car Insurance Rates?
There are so many factors and variants in the calculations of premiums that four or five quotes would be required to make any sort of assessment. These variants and factors are; applicants’ age, gender, marital status, required coverage limits, driving record, location, vehicle information, annual mileage, and many other details.
Each of these key determinants are assessed, grouped and rated based on statistical information. Furthermore, these assessments are carried out independently by every company that the chances of them being close to each other is low. Some underwriters may place heavy emphasize on driving records while other insurers may believe applicants’ credit history, education and profession are more helpful to predict their likelihood of making a claim.
To them, not making a claim in the past may not be a sufficient indicator. They would look at your financial position and estimate that you are likely to make a claim if you are running a tight budget and sometimes missing payments. These new and complicated ways of evaluating risks increases the differences between companies and their prices and therefore highlights the importance of automobile insurance rate comparison.
For example, you may be looking for a company that place a heavy importance on driving records if you have a good driving records but not a great education, zip code or credit history. The opposite would be applicable for someone who does not have a great driving history but have great credit record, own home and good background overall.
Car Insurance Rate Comparison by Zip Code
Insurers are always looking at claims and other indicators zip code by zip code to see if policyholders are making more claims in some areas in comparison to other. As a result one insurer can offer the lowest rates in one zip code while deliberately avoiding another zip code.
Unfortunately, companies are not labelled with these characteristics. Therefore there is no way of knowing which type of policyholders they prefer unless you compare auto insurance rates by zip code. This is exactly what a broker would do on your behalf if you choose to work with one. Not everybody like intermediaries and therefore some prefer to handle their own affairs.
Luckily this is possible thanks to internet based quote solutions that work with zip code entry. You can start right here or use your favorite search engine to see a good website to help you out. There will be plenty options from official websites to independent comparison sites like this one. You can choose either one of them and start the process. There are no limits to what you can do online. You can go one way and if it does not seem to yield any results you can try something else.
Comparison websites aren’t normally tied to any insurance company. And a few good sites are fairly open in their approach and let their visitors connect with the insurer to get direct auto insurance quotes. In other words, they make it easier and faster for you to find your quotes instead of creating another layer of barrier between you and the insurer. Car insurance comparison by zip code based quote tools have the potential to cut your premium to half when it is done properly.
Points to Watch when You Check Car Insurance Quotes
You have a better chance of getting the best rates if you mind the following points.
- You should determine the level of coverage you want to purchase beforehand and get all your quotes on the same coverage bases. This is a key point for a successful side by side auto insurance rate comparison. You want to make sure you compare oranges with oranges to avoid getting muddled up.
- You should get at least five quotes before you start counting your chickens. Almost every expert, including Insurance Information Institute (III), recommend getting several quotes each time you buy insurance.
- Look for opportunities to save money. Ultimately, you will need to bag as many discounts as you can. You cannot ask for these discounts if you don’t know what they are. For example, you need to know that you qualify for good student discount so that you can ask for it.
- Price isn’t the only way to look at the quotes. You can always size up car insurance companies for different attributes as well as price. You can check reviews and claim records of insurers pretty quickly online these days. For example, here are the top 10 auto insurance companies for paying claims.
- Look for insurers that offer flexible payment options, especially if the money is tight. Can you pay car insurance monthly, by several installment, check, card, online, over the phone or through the mail? Ask if you can get little bit more discount for paying upfront if you don’t need such flexibilities.
Just remember that you have plenty options and you can get the best rate auto insurance if you shop around for it. Otherwise, you have a high chance of ending up with a less than perfect policy from an average insurer at an expensive premium. The worst part of it is that you may stay with the same coverage for years by auto-renewing year after year.