Having your own set of wheels allows you to move more freely. However, a few responsibilities come with vehicle ownership too. One of the first things you need to do is to buy auto insurance. You could call an agent and ask for the cheapest policy they can offer you but this doesn’t mean that your vehicle will be insured.
So, one of the first questions you need to answer is how much insurance do I need for my car? Usually money is tight for people who just bought their first automobile and now looking to insure it. However, you may leave yourself exposed if you don’t buy good coverage. Buying a liability only policy would satisfy state minimum vehicle insurance requirements but would not provide any coverage for your own vehicle. Perhaps you should first find out what does auto insurance cover and how?
Why Is Car Insurance So Expensive for New Drivers?
Most people start driving in their early ages and therefore young drivers buy majority of first time car insurance policies. One of the main reasons why your first policy would be more expensive is because of lack of insurance history. In addition, your age affects how much you pay to insure your auto. You can read more on why is car insurance so high for young drivers?
Premiums come down fast when you prove to be a safe driver. That is why you should buy 6-month auto insurance and keep checking for alternative quotes at each renewal to lower your premium. The worst thing you can do is to keep renewing without comparing quotes.
5 Steps to Get Car Insurance for the First Time
Buying auto insurance for the first time shouldn’t intimidate you. You can probably arrange a better and cheaper coverage than a seasoned motorist with a little bit of time and care. Usually, being under the illusion of knowing everything about the topic in hand leads to bigger mistakes than a novice driver can make when it comes to buying vehicle insurance. Follow below steps and you will be fine.
- Look into insurance costs before buying your first car: Every type of vehicle has its insurance ratings and you can find out about average insurance rates by car model before making the purchase. You can even get quotes for the automobile you like to buy. It may be a smart move to go for a cheap to insure vehicle in your first couple of years until your rates come down.
- Find out about coverage options: Take this opportunity to find out how will buying auto insurance help you? Knowing what it is and how it can help you will make it easier for you to include or leave out a particular coverage.
- Learn the factors that affect automobile insurance rates: Knowing what causes a premium increase or big discount will help you avoiding the surcharges and making most of the savings.
- Find out about the possible discounts: There are so many ways of saving money on vehicle insurance even for novice drivers. You cannot probably afford to miss out on these discounts.
- Learn how to shop for cheaper car insurance: This is where you will get the most benefits. Two identical first time drivers can end up paying several times different premiums because of the way they shop when purchasing auto insurance for the first time.
If you are not still seeing affordable quotes you may need to look outside standard automobile insurance policies. Certain types of policies can serve young and new drivers better than older drivers. For example, pay as you drive insurance policies are known to save a lot of money for young but good drivers or drivers with no insurance history. There is usually a way to solve most problems if you are willing to look for it hard enough and various posts on this website can help you. Just take your time and browse around.