If you are a male teenager you are probably in one of the highest risk drivers group. It will be disheartening to see how expensive your rates are just after getting your license and scrapping enough money to buy your first car. Now you want to buy your first automobile insurance coverage but cannot understand why you must pay a lot more than most other motorists. After all, you haven’t done anything to deserve this. However, it is still possible to find cheap auto insurance for young men as shown below.
Why Do Young Men Get Charged Higher Vehicle Insurance?
Statistically, Young drivers are four times more likely to cause fatal automobile accidents. Those accidents tend to be high-speed collisions that lead to larger claims due to injuries, loss of life and damages to vehicles. In addition, males cause more serious accidents than females. That is why car insurance rates for females are about 10% cheaper on average.
In summary, odds are against you if you are young and male. Unfortunately, you don’t need to do anything to deserve this because rates are based on historical data. And there is not much you can do to change it except patiently waiting to get over your teen years. In the meantime, you need to make the most of very few discounts offered to young boys.
Cheap Vehicle Insurance for Young Males
Here are a few things you can do to lower your premium cost. For the best results hopefully, you haven’t yet bought your car yet.
- Buy a Car with Economical Insurance Rates: You have already got two seriously influential factors going against you. These are your age and gender. If you add a high-risk automobile into equation it would be like throwing gas on fire. Even an experienced driver with no recent claim or ticket on his/her name would suffer about 30 – 50% premium increase once he/she replaces a sensible auto with performance one. That is why you should try to stay away from expensive to insure cars until you have several years of driving history under your belt. There is also a high chance that you may not be able to find insurance if you are a teenager wanting to insure a high-performance car. Not many insurers will take a chance with such a high-risk combination no matter how much premium you are willing to pay.
- Consider Pay As You Drive Auto Insurance: One of the main reasons why most insurers wouldn’t want to insure you is because you have no driving history and therefore pretty risky. And one of the best ways of proving that you are better than your peers is to let the insurer see it by allowing them monitor your driving with a telematics device. There are several carriers that offer pay as you go type of policies and it can be a great tool to find more affordable vehicle insurance for young males.
- Try to Keep Driving to Bare Minimum: If you are not driving much you can claim low Mileage discounts. Most companies would be happy to accept the odometer readings as proof of low mileage but there are companies that specially offer low mileage discounts again with telematics devices that only measure mileage. If you drive less than 7000 miles a year you can probably claim the discounts.
- Be a Good Student: Chances are you are a student and good grades can help you get better quotes. So, you have one more reason to pay attention to your studies.
- See If You Can Take Advantage of Family Discounts: A few companies are happy to extend about 10% discounts when a teenage driver wants to buy a policy from his/her parents’ insurer. You just need to talk to them and let them know that your parents have been insured with the company and you want to do so as well if you get a reasonable price.
- Any Advance Driving Course Would Help: If you have taken any advance driving courses or passed any additional tests you should make sure your insurer knows about it. They are likely to offer further discounts.
- Never Buy after Only One Quote: Don’t make this rookie mistake and get a few quotes and compare them with each other carefully. This is the most effective way of getting the most competitive car insurance and doesn’t require any qualification.
No matter how adverse your circumstances are usually there are still some savings available if you look hard enough and this applies to teenage boys too. While you are here why not get several quotes on our site from reputable insurers and see if we can help you?
How to Avoid Even Higher Premiums?
Being a young and inexperienced driver can really put you in a disadvantages position in many ways. You should know that it might take a few hours of patient driving to really grasp the intricacies of operating a motor vehicle. You are not an accomplished driver just because you are licensed to drive. Just take your time to get used to your new automobile and ease yourself to the roads.
Having one accident to your name no matter how small can exasperate your already expensive rates further. So, avoid distractions like texting, using any handheld gadget and having more than one friend in the vehicle with you while driving. The chances of crashing your car is much higher when you get distracted even when you are experienced enough.
The next thing to avoid is a speeding or other moving violation tickets that will go onto your motor vehicle record. These will be seen by insurers and make it harder for you to find affordable coverage for at least three years. That is how long it takes for tickets and claims to come off your record in most states and with most carriers.
Automobile insurers assume the worst when they insure a boy. Don’t give them any more reason to think that they were right and it was a mistake to insure you. Then, you will start seeing your rates gradually come down starting from the next renewal. You just need to get over these early few years and especially the first year of driving without an incident for your own sake.