If you want to own and/or drive an automobile you need to buy insurance at least for the damages and injuries you may cause to third parties. Every state in the US sets basic liability auto insurance coverage requirements. The laws for causing traffic related injuries and damages are generally very simple. Either you buy car insurance coverage to pay for these losses you caused or you pay them out of your pocket and face the consequences of driving without insurance.
There are many other parts of a policy that provide protection for the vehicle owner, driver and family members. Many people go far beyond the minimum requirements set by their states and buy the best auto insurance coverage within their budget. Every motorist should look at own situation, budget and risk preference and choose a sufficiently comprehensive policy. Generally, you buy automobile insurance coverage to insure for any responsibilities to third parties, receive compensation for your own vehicle related losses and provide protection for family members.
WHAT IS A CAR INSURANCE POLICY?
A policy is a contract between a policyholder and vehicle insurer. The auto insurer promises to pay for damages and injuries incurred or caused by the insured driver in the event of a road accident, theft, fire damage, weather related losses and other perils listed in the policy. In turn, the policyholder pays the agreed fee (the premium) in the fashion and time determined at the start. An important point to note is that non-payment is generally taken as cancelation of the policy. In such cases, you must contact the carrier to reinstate car insurance coverage and clear the arrears if you still want to be insured by the firm.
HOW DOES AUTO INSURANCE WORK?
– How Does Liability Car Insurance Work? Its function is to provide compensation for the citizens’ injuries and property damages in case they are involved in a traffic accident which wasn’t their fault. It also takes away the burden of paying for them from policyholders and passes it onto insurers. Anyone can own and/or drive a vehicle and most people can pay for reasonable premiums charged by insurers. On the other hand, most drivers aren’t equipped financially to pay for injures and damages they may cause. That is why states require minimum liabilities coverage.
– How Does Full Coverage Auto Insurance Work? Once a policyholder buys a full coverage policy he/she insures his/her own damages and injuries suffered as a result of insured perils like collision, theft, fire, storms, falling objects and other accidental losses. In other words, policyholders transfer risks of suffering financial losses as a result of owning and driving a motor vehicle to insurers. They choose to pay premiums instead of living with the uncertainty of not knowing when and how much damages they may face one of those days. Car insurance acts as a stop loss for policyholders since maximum a policyholder can lose is the deductible amount in each incident once the premium is paid.
– How Does Automobile Insurance Work in Paying Claims? It makes sure policyholders recover from damages they suffer as a result of insured perils as long as they have coverage. It also pays for liability claims against policyholders up to policy limits. A very important point is that car insurance is there to compensate policyholders by giving them back what they have lost. And it is never there to make policyholders financially better off than before. If the policyholders were made better off insurers wouldn’t be able to deal with serious moral hazard.
– How Does Vehicle Insurance Work as a Social System? It is also a social system in which vehicle owners come together to pay for vehicle related damages and claims suffered by few of them each year. Collecting premiums is a way of pooling money for the said purpose. Insurers’ function is to manage this system efficiently. They must be good at deciding how much each individual should pay to join the pool, who gets paid for damages and injuries suffered, how breaking rules gets dealt with and even who gets kicked out of the pool in order to make a profit. There has to be such a system to relieve drivers off financial burden, governments off responsibility, courts off having to deliver justice too many times and citizens off worry that their injuries and damages won’t be paid.
TYPES OF CAR INSURANCE COVERAGE
Liability Auto Insurance: refers to bodily injuries and damages to property caused by the insured driver. This coverage is typically sold with certain limits like $25,000/$50,000/$25,000 (bodily injury per person/bodily injury per accident/property damages). This means the insurance company will pay only up to those limits, any excess amount will have to be covered by the policyholder or the at fault driver.
Full Coverage Car Insurance: this refers to liability coverage AND coverage for the insured automobile, meaning the insurance provider will pay for the repair and/or replacement of the vehicle in case of an insured loss. This type of coverage is limited by the value of the car. Also, there is usually a deductible amount which the insured must pay first; the company will shoulder the rest of the losses in line with the contract.
Other types of covers include Personal Injury Protection for the driver and his family, specific policies for rental cars, roadside assistance, and protection against uninsured drivers. Take note that the more coverage, the better financial protection there is for the driver and the vehicle. More auto insurance coverage also means a higher premium.
WHAT IS COVERED AND HOW?
The exact details of each automobile insurance policy varies and clearly specified in the policy documents. Typically, the cause of the damage determines what car insurance coverage is applicable:
* Liability Coverage; this policy pays for damages and injuries to others and their properties, when the insured driver is determined to be at fault.
* Collision Coverage; this pays for any damages received by an insured car if it collides with another vehicle, a person, an animal or fixed properties, including parked cars.
* Comprehensive Coverage; insurance against vandalism, theft, fire, weather related damages or any other non-collision damage.
* Personal Injury Protection; provides for payment of medical bills and procedures for injuries sustained by the insured driver and family members in a car accident.
* Uninsured Driver Coverage; pays for damages caused by a motorist who does not have auto insurance coverage or it is insufficient.
* Rental Reimbursement Coverage; provides for car rental costs while the insured car is being repaired following an insured perils.
Knowing these basic provisions is the first step in selecting the best policy. This will serve as your guide in personalizing your coverage and when looking at quotes.
HOW MUCH DOES INSURING CARS COST?
There are many possible combinations of vehicle insurance policies, that to think of a single ballpark figure when discussing premiums is almost impossible. Most policies are flexible enough to be tailored to specific needs of an individual driver. It can go as cheap or as costly depending on the requirements of the policyholder. You can read further on if you want to know what is the cheapest car insurance.
The actual cost of any auto policy will depend upon a lot of factors. These include, but are not limited to, (1) the driver’s age; (2) gender; (3) driving history; (4) home address; (5) occupation; (6) education; (7) credit score; (8) mileage driven, (9) insured automobile and (10) other listed drivers. Premiums can also greatly vary from state to state and among different companies.
As a general rule, the more coverage there is, the higher the insurance costs. Certain individuals classified as high-risk (i.e. those with a history of traffic violations, claims, a poor credit rating, living in a high crime area or city center) will need to pay more.
However, many companies offer vehicle insurance savings for qualified drivers. This includes special prices for those with a good traffic record (safe driver discounts), student rates, discounts for multiple-policy purchases, and other programs. Always ask for these savings to find the perfect coverage for your circumstances at a discounted price.
CHOOSING THE BEST AUTO INSURANCE COVERAGE
Nowadays the internet makes it a lot quicker to get cheap auto insurance quotes online and many people choose this method. You can compare and choose among different offers from many insurance providers. Alternatively, you can seek out a good independent broker to do your bidding. Brokers will do all the searching and let you know their findings. They will also be able to advise you on the level of coverage, policy terms, provisions and which company to go with.
Just remember that in order to get the quotes that are applicable to you, you must follow this rule of computer logic: GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). This means that the relevance of the coverage offered and the price you are going to get will depend on the accuracy of the information you provide in the quote form.
Be sure to give accurate information about your car, address, and perhaps even the driving history of all persons who will be using the car. As in all insurance policies, the devil is in the details, and this is the way to make sure your coverage is suited to your needs.
Personalize your cover so that you only pay for the things you really need. Take note also if the auto policy offers similar coverage to any other non-car coverage (like home insurance) you have. Then, you could choose to strike out the redundant cover and stick to what you need.
WHICH ARE THE BEST AUTO INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR YOU?
After these steps, you are now ready to choose the best provider. You may choose to rely on an agent to help you out on details of your policy and offer you advice on various carriers. It is best to ask all the questions you can think of at this stage, rather than learning too late that your policy does not cover this and that type of damages.
Policyholders choose insurers for various reasons. Some of them may have nothing to do with the quality of customer service, reliability of the firm or the claim payment record. Studies suggest that TV commercials play an important role in many people’s decisions. However, this would mean that you limit your choices to handful of companies advertising heavily.
Usually, the size of the company, recognized brand name and personal perception play key roles. Some people may feel secure in the knowledge that they are covered by one of the giants in the industry. Others may prefer a local firm or have to go to a specialist insurer. You have to make your mind based on your own observations and views.
Knowing details of your auto insurance coverage will save you from uncertainty in the event of an accident. Always know in advance how much you are covered for and how much you will pay. After all, you buy a policy to get covered for unexpected losses and have peace of mind.