These days quite a few people do most of their transactions over the Internet, including banking, applying for a loan or buying their groceries. However, people may still be cautions to insure their automobiles online because of the heavy consequences of driving without insurance. So, let’s try to answer the question of is online car insurance safe and what can you do to make sure you don’t fall into common pitfalls?
People can have this nagging feeling that something is not right. However, it may just be because they are not used to the new way of doing things yet. There are many well-known companies (Amazon, Ebay, Overstock) whose operation based entirely on the Internet, including some insurers. They would not be in business if they could not set up secure online transactions. Besides, aren’t people cheated offline anyway? There are far more chances of someone stealing your card details and using somewhere else offline.
How Safe Is Buying Auto Insurance Online?
People buy almost anything on the Internet these days and get it delivered to their doorstep. People were very cautions at the start of the Internet boom and they missed out on its incredible features. The Internet is now the number one resource for almost everybody from students to teachers and fast becoming the main shopping outlet.
It is good to ensure you are safe and it helps if you understand the process. Here are a few things to make sure you are extra safe when you search for automobile insurance quotes on the Internet;
- If you come across a website that appears to be asking too many questions that are irrelevant to purchasing a policy you should think twice before providing information. Today, you can shop for vehicle insurance quotes with basic details about yourself, other drivers, the car to be insured and your contact details. You can get auto insurance quotes without SSN (Social Security Number) if that will make you more comfortable. The beauty of online quotes is that nobody can say anything to you when you decide to click away.
- You should check that you are still on the website you want to be when you finish the search before making payments. It is easy to click away or be re-directed to another site if you are not careful. Actually the web works with the links that directs you to the information you need. But you need to check that you are on the official site when you finally purchase auto insurance policies.
- It is always a good idea to check the company’s contact details before making the payment. If you are going to buy a policy from them it should be easy to contact them in the future. Also it makes sure that they are legit.
- Check to see they are clearly displaying their Insurance License Number. Every insurer, agent or broker must be licensed by your state insurance department and they must display their license number on all their communications and website. This may not be important while just checking prices. However, it becomes important when you are buying.
- You should make sure that your payment has gone through and you have bought the policy. Normally you should receive an e-mail confirmation or see your policy when you sign in to your account. This is important to make sure you are insured before you start driving. You should probably download or print insurance proof card.
It is all about common sense regardless of doing business online or offline. You have to watch out for obvious signs. For example, wherever possible you should buy your policy directly from the insurer’s official website. It is fine to check prices on other websites but final purchase should be on a more reliable site.
Advantages of Car Insurance Shopping Online
There are many advantages of the Internet shopping. That is why it is important to feel comfortable with it to use. Here are some of the features you can only appreciate if you are using the Internet in your search.
- No other intermediary service can compete with the speed of the Internet. You can get your quotes within minutes and buy car insurance online under an hour. It is no longer a boring or scary task. This feature alone ensures that market becomes more competitive and open to all.
- No interference from pushy salespersons. You are only a click away from walking out or buying your policy. It is totally up to you which way it goes at the end. No follow up calls or junk mail bombardments. Many people love the non-personal side of transacting on the Internet. They don’t need to explain themselves to anybody or try hard to be understood anymore.
- Shop for auto insurance online wherever and whenever you want. It is open 24/7 and ready when you are. You don’t need to worry about driving to an agency office or make an appointment with a broker.
- It is easy to make adjustments to your coverage, deductibles or anything else and go back for another round of quotes. Your broker wouldn’t be happy if you start changing your details in order to get cheaper rates. There is a high chance he/she will tell you off or make faces.
- You may get additional discount for browsing on the Internet with quite a few insurers.
It is safe and fast to look for automobile insurance online. You can get your quotes pretty fast, compare them and buy the policy with peace of mind. These advantageous in comparison to purchasing it offline are hard to give up. Furthermore, rouge agents on the high street carry out most vehicle insurance scams.
How to Shop for Car Insurance Online
If you are ready to start your search for the best quotes the best way is using a comparison website. Why bother trying to find insurers in your area one by one and try to get quotes from them directly when there is already a system in place to do this for you. A common misconception with intermediaries or third party websites is that they will prevent you to get in touch with insurers directly or increase costs.
These concerns are eliminated by certain comparison websites that are set up to get you direct auto insurance quotes as fast as possible. All you need to do is to enter your zip code and the site will show you the cheapest insurance companies in your state. You choose the ones you like to get quotations from and click the button to go directly to the official website of the chosen insurer. You can perform all the safety tips discussed above from this point on to make sure you complete your purchase with peace of mind.
Why not get the ball rolling by entering your zip code on our quote platform above? You can choose from many top insurers and we will send you to their official website so that you can complete your purchase. Shopping for automobile insurance cannot be any safer than that.