Many motorists may think that automobiles come with fuel settings and you cannot influence the consumption. This is not true as we will discuss below how you can reduce costs substantially by making small changes and minding a few points. It is hard not to notice how much petrol a vehicle is going through. And it is not pleasant when you have to think about the expense when you are taking a trip.
Choose the Right Automobile
Before we go into various way of making a vehicle consume less gas we should talk about the choice of cars. From time to time SUVs gets very popular and you see a large one going past with only the driver in it right in the middle of a cosmopolitan city center. You cannot help but ask; does this person really need this huge and ugly thing that will drink petrol like nothing in this city?
We may be choosing our autos based on what we like and not what we need. In fact, the type of message we want to send out may influence our decisions. Simply, we want to keep up with the joneses. We keep throwing money into things that we really don’t need until one day we realize we don’t have much savings to rely on in cases of crises or we haven’t got enough for retirement.
It is natural that you would like a certain type of car model or brand. This could in fact be a SUV and yet you can make a smart purchase. These days you have plenty choices in terms of auto body and engine size. A car you like comes in various sizes and models. For example, you may like SUV and BMW. Going for X5 will cost you a lot more money and petrol in the long run since it has a bigger body and engine compared to one lower model of X3. If everyone could lower engine size only one notch the world would be a cleaner place.
While we are on the subject of saving money with our auto choices we cannot pass without mentioning insurance. Generally, safer cars cost less to insure and engine size affects the rates. Another benefit of safer cars is of course better protection for the family. If you can get $30 a month premium reduction and keep the vehicle for 6 years you would have saved $2,160 in that time. It is not bad at all.
Cut Out Unnecessary Driving
The second most effective way of controlling car running costs is by reducing the yearly mileage. It is convenient to have an automobile and we may be taking it beyond its economical use. There are simple ways of reducing consumption by driving less. We don’t walk or cycle anymore because of over reliance on automobiles. It is healthier to walk or cycle a little for short distances.
Think before grabbing the keys and walk towards the car. Do you really need to make this journey? Planning helps in this aspect. When you go to drop children to school or practice you can plan ahead to get grocery shopping done on the way as well. By making a shopping list you can purchase what you need for the week and avoid keep going back to stores. In addition, sharing a ride and using public transport wherever possible will help as well.
There are plenty other ways of controlling auto ownership expenditures. Here are some of them;
Auto Maintenance Related Savings
1. Correct tire pressure is known to reduce petrol use. Under inflated tires cost you more money and result in premature wear and need to replace them earlier.
2. Regular auto maintenance is known to be cost effective as it reduces fuel usage and mechanical breakdowns. Dirty oil and blocked filters clogs the engine and increase waste. A few other things that are done during regular maintenance like auto alignment help the engine operate smoothly and efficiently.
3. Keep an eye on engine and other mechanical problems. A vehicle with mechanical problems acts like a sick human being. It fails to adjust gas intake and throws out more than usual.
Driving Habits Affect Fuel Usage
1. Try to go on to a higher gear wherever possible. Using a lower gear at high speed can mean spending a lot more gas.
2. Traveling at speed limits helps the traffic and saves you money especially on highway as much as twenty percent by traveling at 70 mph instead of 50 mph.
3. Watch the traffic ahead in order to cut out unnecessary braking and exhilarating and keep the speed. Braking and exhilarating often burn a lot more. You should accelerate gently, brake gradually and avoid stops.
4. Try to avoid driving during rush hour traffic in which you will have to stop and go all the time.
5. When approaching steep slopes, accelerate before the hill. Accelerating once on the slope will consume much more.
6. There is no need to let autos idle for more than thirty seconds even on cold mornings. Letting an automobile idle longer is a waste. Also, it is more efficient to turn off engine and turn it on again than to let it idle for more than forty seconds while waiting. New cars are designed to be driven almost immediately and some turn off automatically when you are idle.
7. Always choose the better roads. Driving on dirt roads and side streets results in lower fuel economy compared to straight and faster roads.
8. Use cruise control to maintain a steady pace on the highway to increase economy.
Other Factors Affecting Car Fuel Costs
1. Always keep an eye on prices at the forecourts. Usually, drivers have three or four filling stations near vicinity of their homes or work. Buying from the cheapest supplier can save you $5-$10 at each full tank.
2. Purchase gasoline when it is cold outside in the early morning or at night, not in the heat of the day. It becomes denser in cooler temperatures. You will get better overall gas mileage for money since pumps only measure the volume, not the density.
3. An auto isn’t a storage space. Remove all excess weight that slowing it down and costing you money. Unnecessary weight reduces efficiency that is why new model automobiles are lighter.
4. Don’t use air conditioning if possible. Air conditioning reduces fuel economy by ten to twenty percent.
5. Keep windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows on highways can reduce efficiency by ten percent. It is much better to use the ventilation system.
6. Remove auto racks and other items, which make it less aerodynamic when they’re not being used.
If you want proof that these methods work, check the fuel consumption per mile within the next week. Then, implement these changes and measure how much you can reduce the costs. Seeing is believing and you will be surprised how little things can make huge difference. If you only can save $20 a week this will make over $1,000 a year.
Car Insurance Discounts
While we are on the subject of economizing why not have a look at auto insurance savings? Again there are many ways of reducing the premium down but that is a discussion for another day. However, you should remember that you can save as much as forty percent by shopping around for cheap auto insurance quotes.