Will Insurance Pay If I Damage my Own Car or Property?

There are many scenarios in which you may crash on to an automobile or property that belongs to you and wonder if insurance will pay for them. The answer mainly depends on coverage and circumstances of the incident. So, it is best to break down this question and try to clarify the position as best as possible. It is certainly a tricky situation.

Companies will not normally compensate damages to vehicles if you or any of family members caused it deliberately. It is for losses beyond the policyholder’s control. You cannot expect them pay for it when you lost it and sling a brick at it because it was a controllable choice action.

However, people often break their autos unintentionally. This could be an accident in a driveway or on the roads. Large numbers of claims come from incidents near or at home because it is where the vehicle is most of the time.

Does Insurance Pay for My Own Vehicle Damages?

There is a higher chance of own vehicle getting marred before you spoil someone else’s automobile or property. That is why you shouldn’t just buy liability only but choose full coverage if you can afford the premium. Then the company would meet the cost of your repairs that were the result of a crash, weather conditions, floods, fire, theft or many other perils under Collision and Comprehensive.

Will Insurance Cover Repairs to My Car if It Was My Fault?

Again, it is possible that you would have inflicted the whole thing. Many self-inflicted traffic accidents occur everyday. What happens if I dent my automobile? In majority of cases companies would pay for it even if it was caused by their own policyholders, unless it is proved to be a deliberate action that was planned to defraud them.

The last part of the previous sentence shouldn’t worry you if you are an honest person. Most of them wouldn’t even question that you deliberately instigated the accident so that you could get money from the carrier. Why would you anyway if you are only going to be compensated for what you have lost? There is no reason for suspecting a foul play unless there are evidences to the contrary. Reputable companies will settle claims with minimum fuss especially when they are small.

When an accident is your fault the insurer compensate your losses if you have Collision Coverage. It would be an own damage claim if there were no other vehicle involved or you didn’t hit anything else. Otherwise, liability would pay for destruction you inflicted to other cars and properties as well, up to its limit.

Insurance Coverage for at Home or Driveway Accidents

People are usually more worried about claims for accidents near their home but they happen more often than you think. It usually doesn’t matter where the incident happen. You may have hit a neighbor’s auto when you were backing out of a driveway or garage. If you have a full policy it would be considered as an at fault collision. Liability component would settle the neighbor’s losses and the collision component would deal with your losses.

Crashing on to a Car Belonging to You or Family

What if the vehicle you hit belongs to you or your spouse? Would insurance take care of the damages to a family member’s auto? Then, you need to look at how both vehicles are insured. It would go down as collision claim for both cars if both of them are under the same policy and have collision. The deductible would apply too. If your spouse’s auto doesn’t have collision component your carrier probably won’t settle the repairs to it. Normally, liability coverage will not include a spouse’s car since it is within the family and not a third party claim.

Damages You Caused with the Car to your Home

Automobile insurance liability coverage is there to compensate the third parties for fixing their property. Then, who pays if you crashed to the house you live in while parking on the driveway or backing out of the garage? This depends on who it belongs to. If you are the owner you would have had home plan to claim on and auto policy wouldn’t come into play. However, it would probably pay for the property in this case if you are renting it since the landlord is a third party.

Most other issues with it while parked at home are the subject of the comprehensive component. It takes care of falling tiles, trees, vandalism, fire, weather related and so on, regardless of it happen at home or outside, as long as you have comprehensive.

Always remember that terms differ depending on the wording, company providing it and the state you live in. That is why it is best to check them for a specific concern and call the agent if you need further clarification. It is always difficult to offer blanket advice that is applicable to everyone.

Share on Pinterest
There are no images.