Illinois Auto Insurance Rates

The Prairie State has affordable vehicle insurance rates for both liability only and full coverage policies as premiums are lower than the national average, despite factors like cold weather and heavy congestion especially in the Chicago metropolitan area affecting cost negatively. In addition, the rates outside of the metro area are noticeably lower since the state average is pushed up by higher premiums in Chicago.

Illinois in Pictures

IL Vehicle Insurance Laws

Here are the requirements and fines for non-compliance;

  • $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person.
  • $50,000 total for bodily injury or death per accident.
  • $20,000 for property damage.

Also, the laws require that you buy uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage at least to the level of minimum coverage requirements above.

The Prairie State applies a modified comparative negligence for the settlement of vehicular accident claims. Accordingly, you need to be less than 50% at fault in the accident in order to recover damages and injuries you suffered as a result. Furthermore, the amount you can claim from third parties may be reduced proportionately depending on the degree of your fault. For example, if you’re found to be 30% at fault, you can claim against the third party, but the other party’s insurer may only pay 70% of your damages.

There are random checks for automobile insurance compliance in this state. If you are picked up by their computer you are sent a questionnaire to complete. Then the information you provided is checked with the companies you declare. If a motorist is found to be driving uninsured here are the fines.

A vehicle license plate can be suspended.

There will be a $500 fine.

$1,000 for driving a vehicle while its license plate is suspended due to a previous violation.

While license plates are suspended the vehicle cannot be driven. However, the owner is allowed to drive other vehicles.

Traffic citations make it harder to get low premiums. You need to keep a clean driving record if you don’t want to face surcharges and lose vehicle insurance discounts. Remember that traffic tickets and license point deductions will remain in a DMV file for at least three year. Auto insurers in the state will be able to see them in this period.

Automobile Insurance Costs in Illinois

Average minimum state required liability coverage costs $552 and it is $70 cheaper than the US average. You can also get economical full coverage as the average premium is $1,806 and it is $208 lower than the national average for full coverage. These would have been much lower if it wasn’t for Chicago pulling them up with its higher than average premiums.

Cheapest Car Insurers in Illinois

Where you live and your carrier determine how much premium you need to pay. These names can help you reduce costs in most zip codes including Windy City and Chicagoland. They are about 40% cheaper than the rest in the Land of Lincoln.

  1. The Hartford
  2. Farmers

This shows how important it is to get and compare quotes. Otherwise, you run the risk of ending up with one of the most expensive companies and paying more than what similar drivers in your zip code usually pay.

Auto Insurance in Chicago IL

It is expected that metropolitans have higher rates. It is a huge place with 2.7 million residents. Also, the Metropolitan Area is so large that it spreads into Indiana and Wisconsin with nearly 10 million residents. When the area is so big, wide and densely populated, certain problems like congestion, high number of accidents, auto theft and vandalism become part of daily motoring. These are the key factors that influence rates. However, you can still get affordable prices if you get a few quotes to find the most competitive carrier.

Despite all these issues, Windy City vehicle insurance rates are about 30% higher than IL and 15% higher than the US average premiums. Shopping around for the best rates often allows motorists to reduce their premiums and you have extra incentive to get a few quotes and compare when you live in an expensive zone for car insurance. The higher the costs, the more effective each discount in terms of how much money it can save you.