When you listen or look you can see the warning signs in most cases regardless of being an expert or not. In case of vehicles warnings can come as noises you should not ignore. It could be simple adjustment or start of a problem that can be solved easily and cheaply. It could even be as simple as adding a little lubricant or tightening a screw. Leaving it alone can cause costly accidents, which in turn will increase car insurance rates.
Maintenance is an essential part of owning and driving a vehicle. Like we need food and drink they need maintenance and regular oil change. The most common of these issues are brakes and tires. You need them to stop in time or stir away from a crash. They can be checked visually or by a mechanic in few minutes. Wipers and lights are the other areas requiring regular check and replacement.
Here are a few other points and noises to pay attention.
1. A hissing or sizzling under the hood may be a sign of water or coolant leakage. You should pay extra attention when you are opening the hood as there may be a steam spraying and you may get burnt. If it is a pipe leakage it can be repaired quickly. It can be costly if the radiator is leaking. You have got to have it fixed because you cannot go far under these conditions.
2. Any knocking coming from the engine can be serious. You will have to take it to the mechanic and start praying that it will not cost you a small fortune. If you still have any warranty on the vehicle this may cover the damages on the engine. Many cars come with three years warranty these days.
3. Loud sound followed by steering difficulties and imbalances is indication of a blown out tire. Try to slow without steering wildly if you were going fast. Hopefully, you have a spare ready to change.
4. Squeaking when braking is a sign most of us recognize. This may not be a sign of imminent emergency but a problem that can be fixed quickly and economically. Getting your brake pads checked and replaced if necessary usually solves it. If you ignore this squeaking it may turn out to scraping noise indicating that brake pad is gone, now the wheel is scraping the metal of the rim.
5. Rattling under the car is an indication that there is a problem with exhaust. One of the mufflers may be lost and the exhaust is now loose. Or it may be time to change it if it is more like an engine noise and it is followed by smoke.
6. Grinding when changing gear is a sign there is wear and tear with the box. Generally it is not easy to repair them unless you change the box completely. This is a costly problem and you may need to think about if it is worth carrying out on older automobiles. It may be better to replace it now that asking lots of money to be spent on it.