Hopefully, it will never come to that and you will have a trouble free driving life. Otherwise, you will need to talk to a car insurance claims adjuster at some point when you have a loss worth appointing someone to deal with. This is the person who;
- Gathers all the facts about the incident.
- Checks if you have coverage for the losses.
- Determines who is at fault.
- Make a recommendation as to how to settle.
- Also deals with vehicle repairs.
In other words, he or she is the person appointed to handle it on behalf on your auto insurer and therefore it is worth saying again that he or she works for them and not you. They still have to make sure that you get compensated properly.
you would have a good idea as to how to approach them if you know a little bit about what they do and what they are up against. Just like traffic wardens they have a job to do. Let’s have a quick look at what the job is involved and what they are expected to achieve at the end of the day in order to gain some insight.
- They normally start with a low settlement figure. If you agree to the offer it is great and the whole thing can be wrapped up pretty quickly. Usually a little contingency is built in expecting that you may play hardball and it can be used to negotiate. Then, you would be happier and he would wrap the case up at a figure he had in mind in the first place.
- It is a stressful business like most others. They have to keep the vehicle insurance company and policyholder happy. And they are the ones in the middle if something goes wrong. The point is that they have to make sure customers are satisfied to a degree.
- They really need to close the claims quickly and efficiently. Otherwise, there are new ones coming on top every day that it becomes unmanageable. They probably have targets to meet like everyone else.
- They do get little presents from auto body repair shops every so often for sending business their way.
- They are human after all and can be compassionate or cruel. Therefore, there is no need to cross them if you can help it.
Remember to check if you are being offered the right amount. If your automobile is totaled, check how much would it cost you to buy a similar one on the open market. If you are going to argue with them you’d better be ready. You cannot just say give me some more. You need to tell them why.
Your first point of contact is the automobile insurance company and adjuster. Listen carefully what they are saying and prepare a sensible counter argument. Most of the time they will listen to you and take the points on board. This is the easiest way. If this approach does not pay, you can approach to a loss adjuster to handle the case for you. It is all right to employ someone to work for you when it becomes too much to handle.