If you cannot look after your credit score anymore due to not having regular job how bad car insurance rates can get up to? How much more would you have to pay for having poor credit history? And how can you get the best car insurance for bad credit? This is is a bigger concern than most motorists may think.
How to Get the Best Car Insurance for Bad Credit History
1. Vehicle insurance price differences between drivers with good credit and bad credit can be as much as 20% with some companies. The trick is to avoid those companies that place high value for good credit and go for companies that don’t care much about it. Even though most companies look at your credit score you will see large price difference with only some of them. Shopping for car insurance extensively is your best option to find the company that will offer you the best car insurance with bad credit history.
2. There are some companies who don’t check credit score and few states -California, Hawaii and Massachusetts- don’t allow credit score to be used in premium calculations. However, about 90% of car insurers look at credit score when they calculate premiums. There aren’t really companies who advertise for not looking at credit position of their applicants. If there are automobile insurance companies who don’t look for credit score there is a high chance they are already in the non-standard market and their rates are usually much higher in comparison to high street brands. By all means get quotes from them but make sure to get alternative quotes from usual names as well. You can find the best car insurance with bad credit history but remember that it may not be quick or easy.
3. If you are lucky your current insurer may not check your credit score for several years. Companies don’t necessarily check the credit rating of their existing customers every year. However, this is a slim chance and if you wanted to switch insurers new companies would check credit history.
4. If you are expecting a big change on your financial position shortly you may want to buy an annual policy instead of a six month policy. This way, you are safe for another year before you will have to accept higher auto insurance with bad credit history. current low rates for another year. Most providers offer attractive payment plans to help you out. But you should make sure that you don’t miss instalments. Companies are getting tougher on missed premium instalments and you may be back on the market looking for coverage. They will cancel auto insurance policies and will probably demand full payment to reinstate when premiums are missed.
5. Improving or maintaining good credit score should always be in your mind. It may not be as hard as you think. For example, avoiding to move too many times may help you keep your credit score good even though you are having financial problems. While you are looking for the best auto insurance for bad credit history you should not let your credit score slip further down.
Improving Your Credit Score
First of all, you need to remember that credit history isn’t only made up of your payments and current borrowing. There are many other details go into it like how long you have stayed in your current address and how often you move. Credit agencies and lenders like people who are not moving around much. So, even you are having money problems at the moment you can still control your credit history to a point so that you can get the best auto insurance for bad credit.
One of the best ways of doing it is to talk to your creditors and utility providers and come to some sort of agreement on a payment plan before they go ahead and report you to credit agencies. Being proactive is better than letting things take their own direction and causing serious problems in the future. Most companies are happy to make it easier for their customers to pay their bills. Starting to cut some of your expenses as soon as you realize there are problems ahead can relieve the pressure on your wallet too.
You can read how to improve credit score and car insurance rates on another post and there is no need to list them here again. If you can get around twenty percent savings on your auto insurance it is worth putting the effort in and increase the score. In addition, insurance is only one area your credit history can help you get better deals. You can get cheaper automobile loans and mortgages as well when you prove that you can handle your finances well.
You can find the best car insurance with bad credit for now and concentrate your efforts on fixing issues with your finances. It is something you have to face sooner or later because life can be harder when your credit score works against you.