If you are a male teenager you are probably in one of the highest risk drivers group. It will be disheartening to see how expensive rates are just after getting your license and scrapping enough money to buy the first car. Now you want to buy the first automobile insurance coverage but cannot understand why you must pay a lot more than most other motorists. After all, you haven’t done anything to deserve this.
Why Do Young Men Get Charged Higher Vehicle Insurance?
Usually it is not you but people in your age category are the reason why each carrier would be extra cautious when they see the proposal form. Statistically, teens are four times more likely to cause fatal automobile accidents. Those tend to be excessive-speed collisions that lead to larger claims due to injuries, loss of life and damages to vehicles. In addition, males cause more serious accidents than females. That is why car insurance rates for girls are about 10% cheaper on average.
In summary, odds are against you if you are young and male. Unfortunately, you don’t need to do anything to deserve this because prices are based on historical data. And there is not much you can do to change it except patiently waiting to get over these years. In the meantime, you need to make the most of very few discounts offered.
Cheap Auto Insurance for Boys
Here are a few things you can do to lower the premium. For the best results hopefully, you haven’t yet bought a car yet.
- Buy a Car with Economical Rates: You have already got two seriously influential factors going against you. These are age and gender. If you add a high-risk automobile into equation it would be like throwing gas on fire. Even an experienced motorist with no recent claim or ticket would suffer about 30 – 50% premium increase once he/she replaces a sensible auto with performance one. That is why you should try to stay away from expensive to insure cars until you have several years of history behind. It is also possible that you may not be able to find coverage for them with you behind the steering wheel. Not many providers will take a chance with such a dangerous combination no matter how much you are willing to pay.
- Consider Pay As You Drive Vehicle Insurance: One of the main reasons why most companies wouldn’t want to cover you is because you have no history and therefore pretty risky. And one of the best ways of proving that you are better than average is to let them see it by allowing them monitor your driving with a telematics device. There are several carriers that offer pay as you go type of policies and it can be a great tool to find more affordable premium.
- Try to Keep Driving to Bare Minimum: If you are not on the road much you can claim low Mileage discounts. Most of them would be happy to accept the odometer readings as proof but there are companies that specially offer this again with telematics devices that only read the odometer. If you travel less than 7000 miles a year you can probably claim them as well.
- Be a Good Student: Chances are you are a student and good grades can help you get better quotes. So, you have one more reason to pay attention in class and get the marks needed.
- See If You Can Take Advantage of Family Discounts: Always look for those easy to get, low qualification requirement type of savings. A few companies are happy to extend about 10% discounts when a teenager wants to buy a policy from his/her parents’ carrier. You just need to talk to them and let them know that your parents have been with them and you want to do so as well if you get a reasonable price.
- Any Advance Driving Course Would Help: If you have taken any advance courses or passed any additional tests you should make sure the agent knows about it. They are likely to offer further discounts.
- Never Buy after Only One Quote: Don’t make this rookie mistake and get a few quotes and compare them with each other carefully. This is the most effective way of getting the most competitive auto insurance and doesn’t require any qualification.
No matter how adverse the circumstances are usually there are still some savings available if you look hard enough and this applies to teenage boys too. While you are here why not get several quotes on our site from reputable insurers and see if we can help you?
How to Avoid Even Higher Premiums?
Being a young and inexperienced driver can really put you in a disadvantages position in many ways. You should know that it might take a few hours of patience to really grasp the intricacies of operating a motor vehicle. You are not an accomplished driver just because you are licensed. Just spare some time to get used to the new automobile and ease on to the roads.
Having one accident no matter how small can exasperate already expensive rates further. So, avoid distractions like texting, using any handheld gadget and having more than one friend in the vehicle with you. The chances of crashing a car is much higher when you get distracted even when you are experienced enough.
The next thing to avoid is a speeding or other moving violation tickets that will go onto motor vehicle record. These will be seen by agents and make it harder for you to find affordable coverage for at least three years. That is how long it takes for tickets and claims to come off record in most states and with most carriers.
Companies assume the worst when they insure a boy. Don’t give them any more reason to think that they were right and it was a mistake to take you on. Then, you will start seeing rates gradually come down starting from the next renewal. You just need to get over these early few years and especially the first year without an incident.